DR. LEVESQUE SCHOOL HISTORY
Dr. Levesque School was built in 1951.
Back then the school consisted of just the Red Wing
and was called Bailey School. Many students were still going to Dewey School near
the town office.
Bailey School was built by St. John Valley Constructing Company owned by
Carleton Albert. It was named after Bailey who was a Commissioner of Education,
who also happen to design schools. He made cost-saving changes and measured in
cubic feet. That’s why our ceilings are high.
At first the Red Wing only housed grades 4, 5 and 6. The parish hall served the
school lunch to both Bailey School and Dewey School.
In 1964, the parish hall burned down.. The school board decided to build the
White wing and a new wing at the high school was added. Dewey School closed down
and all Frenchville children attended Bailey School in grades K to 8. In 1969
there were 348 students at Bailey School.
In 1971 the name of Bailey School was changed to Dr. Levesque School. Dr.
Levesque was a well-known doctor from Frenchville. He went to people’s homes
when they were sick. Miss Levesque, our 4th grade teacher is Dr.
Around 1979 Montfort School in St. Agatha closed down and all the St. Agatha
students (Grades K-6) moved to Dr. Levesque School. Frenchville’s junior high
In 1999 we became a Blue Ribbon School.