In 1785 a band of approximately 30 families were
forced to flee the Fredericton area (Canada) because of the arrival of the
Loyalists. Traveling by canoe, they navigated the St. John
River, passed Grand Falls and the ability of British war ships to follow
In June of that year the first families arrived by canoe and landed at
this site known as the St. David Landing.
Traditionally a cross was erected as a gesture of gratitude
for a safe passage and a new beginning. The original cross has faded,
but a new cross stands on the site.
Here the students stand on a replica of the canoes used to
make the journey. This replica was carved from a solid tree using only
a chain saw.