Policy, Scope and ApplicationResponsibilities; Employee Information;Employee Training; Student Training; Authorized Chemical Use;Control Measures, General Requirements;Specific Requirements; Protective Equipment; Fume HoodsExposure Monitoring; Medical Surveillance; Incidents; Waste Disposal; Chemical Exposure; Chemical Spills; Appendix

Waste Disposal 

There are three types of generic waste disposal practices applicable to hazardous chemical substances.  Contact the Maine Department of Environmental Protection for specific guidance on disposal of lab chemicals.  Regardless of the practice used, all chemical waste containers must be labeled with the contents at the time of waste generation.

•  Drain Disposal
•  Hazardous Waste Disposal
•  Special Disposal

Drain Disposal

Products and residues from small scale use of hazardous chemicals may be able to rinsed down the drain, provided it is not flammable and does not contain any mercury or other extremely toxic substances.  Small amounts of acids and bases may be able to be neutralized before being discharged into a drain.  The Maine DEP regulates the disposal of all chemical wastes into the sewer system, so contact them before any drain disposal occurs.  These regulations prohibit the discharge of the following substances:

  1. Any material in amounts that may adversely affect the operation of the the treatment plant or subsurface disposal unit.
  2. Any material that it untreatable by the treatment plant.
  3. Corrosive substances with a pH <2 or >10.
  4. Flammable solvents.
  5. Mercury in any amount.

Hazardous Waste Disposal

Schools are encouraged to have regularly scheduled "lab chemical pick ups" every couple of years or so, contact Maine DEP for information about contractors.  Flammable solvents, oils, and reagent grade chemicals may not be discharged down the drain.  Flammable solvents and oils are to be placed into 5-gallon waste cans and kept properly labeled inside of flammable storage cabinets as per the System’s Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code.  Likewise, solvent or oil soaked rages or media are also to be placed into closed 5-gallon cans.  Contact Facilities Services for removal of the cans when full.  Disposal of unwanted chemical inventories can be done by contacting Facilities Services who will arrange for outside disposal with a qualified hazardous waste contractor.

Special Disposal

Contact Facilities Services for disposal of compressed gas cylinders or other chemical compounds which could become unstable while in storage awaiting off-site disposal.